dinsdag 11 december 2012

Graveyard



'You're not leaving your house until you've listened to this', a good friend commanded a couple of months ago. So there I was, locked in with nothing but me, my lover and this Graveyard record. I did as every person in this situation would do: ignore the record and sneak out of the house at 4 in the morning. 

Ironically enough, it seemed I couldn't escape this Graveyard record. There I was, having a beer in the most sleazy bar in town when the tunes out of the bar's speakers struck me. I felt like I was catapulted back to the 60s/70s era in a place where Led Zeppelin hasn't yet broken up. 'Who is this?' I yelled at the bartender. The eyes of the bartender lit up as he said 'Graveyard! A Swedish band. You should check out their newest, Hisingen Blues (which, at the time was their most recent full length).'

This was my introduction to the band I would listen to on a daily base from that moment on. Short after releasing their third album, they would come back to Antwerp for a show in Trix. And I was there, obviously. But only to be let down. From that night in the bar on, I would consider Graveyard as my all time favorite band, you see. So I kinda jinxed it myself. But in my defense, the lads on stage didn't seem to get control of the situation that night. 

It started with the first song where the drummer lost his rhythm. Badly. Admittedly, that could've been because the monitor mixer didn't know what to do. But throughout the whole set, Graveyard couldn't seem to care less. Yes, they've played their best songs, and yes, they did an encore, but all of it was so dull. The people attending that show that night should've been blown away by their raw sound and the singer's high squeaking voice. Sweat, blood and tears should've been shed. But none of that happened. The set was brought boringly and rapidly and they just couldn't seem to finish it fast enough. 




1 opmerking: